guys, ive been on a serious baking kick lately. cookies and cakes and breads, oh my! my little oven has been working hard (
as has the zipper to my pants.)
ive made chocolate chip cookies in the past, but i was never thrilled with the way they came out. and while i try and bake most things from scratch- the break and bake chocolate chip cookies you can find at the grocery store taste pretty darn good so i never really bothered finding a recipe i liked more… and then i stumbled upon this one. with 155 five star reviews, i knew i had to give it a try!
i made a few small changes the second time i made them and boy do they taste good. its hard to stop at just one… or two… they are crunchy around the edges but are still a little soft/chewy in the middle- best of both worlds! i hope you enjoy them as much as i do!
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (or 300g- i like weighing my flour!)
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 stick of butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup of shortening (1/2 a stick if you buy that kind)
- 3/4 cup of firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 3/4 cup of white granulated sugar
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 2 large eggs
- 12 oz. package of semi-sweet chocolate chips*
(*I’ve made these with regular chips, chunks, and mini chips- and the mini chips are by far my favorite to use!)
- Mix flour, baking soda and salt in a small bowl
- In a large bowl, beat butter and shortening until creamy
- Add sugar and vanilla and beat with a mixer until well blended
- Beat in eggs, one at a time, mixing well
- Add in the flour mixture and beat slowly to incorporate, then beat to blend well
- Stir in your chocolate chippers (and sneak a few, for quality control of course 😉 )
- Cover bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes (I found the longer I let chill the better the cookies came out!)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and line a cookie tray with parchment paper
- Use a tablespoon to scoop out the dough and roll into balls (you can make bigger cookies if youd like- i just like the mini ones!) keep the balls about two inches apart from each other.
- Bake for 8 minutes or until the edges of the cookies are turning brown- the center will still look a little pale! dont worry- they will brown up a bit more as the cool.
- Cool on the pan for two minutes and then move to a wire rack to cool (or pour yourself a glass of milk and dig in!)
This makes about 6 dozen mini cookies.